Jul 11, 2010

We r connected!


“We are rising up in an understanding of our world, one that is connected” (Roche, 2010).

I bought an iphone a couple of months ago and most recently tried to update it with my computer and my iphone crashed. It completely stopped working. I use my iphone to connect with my “global community,” 24/7. When I am shopping, having coffee, or on my way to work, I have the capability to google my inquiries, check my twitter and facebook communities and text my friends. My G3 iphone connects me to my world in many ways. What was I going to do without it? It is part of me.

While I was listening to Senator Roche talk about how there is a development of a global conscience and how we need to create a culture of peace, I wondered how the internet has helped us in becoming more connected to the global community. Web 2.0 is pretty powerful. Web 2.0 is the second generation of web development, and it is what the internet is today . There are many Web 2.0 literacies that enable users to collaborate, create and engage with knowledge. The literacies include blogs, glogs, vlogs, podcasts, social bookmarking and social networking. I belong to all kinds of communities online. Is it possible that the communities online can create peace and develop global conscience?

One 2.0 tool that has made the world a little smaller is youtube. Youtube is a place where you can collaborate and share ideas through video. I learned to play the violin through my youtube network. I connected with experts, watched videos and asked lots of questions in this space. Youtube can be even more powerful than that. It can unite millions of total strangers in unique ways. I remember a few years ago, there was a massive pillow fight publicized on youtube. This global
pillow fight is an action thought up by artists Richard Maddalena and Kate Buckley and it has become an annual event (Equanimity, 2007). People from around the world including Israel, Chicago, and Buenos Aires all participate with their fluffy pillows and relive childhood moments that unite people in laughter and fluff!


Then there are social activist platforms that you can easily join to create a better world such as Earth Hour. Earth Hour started in 2007 to protest against climate change. Over 2.2 million people in Australia turned their lights off for an hour. This became a global action and in 2009 over 4000 cities in 88 countries turned off their lights for an hour. This was the largest global climate change initiative and by 2010 over 128 countries joined (Earth Hour, 2010). You can watch the amazing 2010 Earth Hour video at Earth Hour.

People around the world are able to gather around different media to collaborate, discuss and engage in things that matter to them. Even my Grade One class. My Grade One class, in rural Rocky Mountain House, collaborated with their global peers using many 2.0 literacies. They learned different ways that they belong in their world. They skyped with a Grade One classroom in Ontario, made wordles and podcasts for a class in Edmonton, connected through their wiki to create community stories with classrooms around Alberta and they blogged for the world. Every time someone visited their blog, they would use google earth and google to learn about the community. At five and six years old, these students have begun to develop an understanding of the world out there and started to create their global relationships and responsibilities in their world. I certainly agree with Senator Roche when he said that we have an "obligation and opportunity to reach out" and a responsibility (Roche, 2010). How do you reach out?


2 comments:

lh4 said...

I think global pillow fight day should happen in all our schools starting in Rocky Mountain House. Go Danielle Go!

lh4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.