Aug 24, 2011

Why igoogle?

I recently had the chance to explore iGoogle. While I didn't pay much attention to it before, I must admit, after tinkering with it over the past few days, I'm quite impressed.

Several search engines offer personalized homepage features, allowing users to customize their page with local weather updates, quotes of the day, jokes, and various other gadgets. Google's version of this, formerly known as the "Personalized Homepage," has been rebranded as "iGoogle," and it truly elevates the homepage experience to a whole new level.


One of the standout features of iGoogle is its integration of various Google services and other cool gadgets, all conveniently accessible from a single page.

With iGoogle, you can:

  • Check your email, Google Reader, and calendar without leaving the page
  • Update your blog
  • Monitor your Facebook and Twitter accounts
  • Access your social bookmarks like Delicious
  • Connect with others using the built-in chat feature
  • Browse the web
  • Create your own personalized theme using Theme Maker, where you can upload your favorite picture and customize the colors of your page to make it uniquely yours. (The only drawback is that you have to manually add your custom theme to iGoogle's theme gallery.)

Before incorporating iGoogle into my classroom, I need to consider ways to ensure that students won't encounter inappropriate themes and gadgets. I wonder if iGoogle will implement a filtering system in the future?

1 comment:

Mrs. Beliveau said...

I read your blog post and recently created my iGoogle page. I love customizing it to my needs and interests, and am really enjoying having my email and reader all in one place (not to mention my quote of the day from The Office and my People magazine highlights!).
Keep your good ideas coming!
Joclyn