Jan 16, 2010

What is your PLN?


What is a Personal Learning Network?

This YouTube clip featuring Will Richardson sheds light on the evolving landscape of education and underscores the necessity for educators to cultivate their own Personal Learning Networks (PLNs). A Personal Learning Network entails an individual's targeted learning goals and a series of methods or strategies aimed at curating or organizing various relevant content sources, chosen for their significance, to aid in achieving professional objectives or personal interests (Warlick, 2007). Once educators grasp the concept of building PLNs and comprehend their functionality, they can impart this digital literacy to their students, empowering them to construct their own personal learning networks effectively.

To delineate how I've constructed my own learning ecosystem, I embarked on defining where and how I primarily engage in learning.

Commencing with a wisemap to chart my learning networks, I realized the necessity of keen observation to discern my habitual avenues for discussing ideas and seeking understanding. Thus far, I've identified
 two principal networks based on my learning goals.

One network revolves around my involvement in the master's program at the University of Alberta. Although it incorporates an online learning component with discussion boards, I anticipate broadening this network rapidly through platforms like Twitter and educational blogs.

My other focus lies in 21st Century Learning, where I tap into numerous networks to glean insights. From tech-blogs to educational bloggers to Twitter, I am continually learning from thought leaders such as Warlick, Jukes, Richardson, and Valenza, among others, including educational blogger Byrne from FreeTech4Teachers. Byrne's prolific sharing via both Twitter and blogging renders his expertise highly accessible.

For those interested in establishing their own PLNs, Byrne's document titled "How to Build a Personal Learning Network" offers invaluable guidance, delineating the steps to build a robust network and highlighting major social networking tools like Twitter.

What comprises your PLN?








No comments: