Nov 22, 2009

Where do we begin?



After watching this video last Fall, I felt fear. I did not know where to start my online learning journey, but felt it was essential to start getting connected. Here are a few ways that I started to connect with the world outside my physical space.

3 Tools to Begin to Connect (with the world)


1. Delicious

Delicious is a social bookmarking site. Social bookmarking is a way for you to SHARE, organize, search and manage bookmarks of web resources (Wikipedia). I personally LOVE delicious because I can access my bookmarks anywhere, anytime and on any computer. I bookmark sites at home and then have them for when I go to work. I also can see other people's bookmarks, which saves me time and gives me a lot more information than if I searched for sites by myself.

2. Youtube/Teachertube

Yes, Youtube is number 2 for me. Whenever I want to learn something, that is the first place I go. For example, I wanted to learn to play a couple songs on the violin last summer, so I went to youtube. I used "expert village" to help me learn to play "twinkle, twinkle." Fun stuff! I also love youtube for the classroom. I love to use short clips from youtube to capture my students attention.

3. Blogs

A blog "is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video" (Wikipedia). I use blogs to stay on top of what is new out there in the digital world. I would recommend that you find a few blogs that interest you and enjoy! Definitely look for blogs that are updated frequently, so you stay on the cutting edge of what is going on in the web! ;)

My favorites are:

Free Technology for Teachers: This site is so cool! You need to bookmark this one for sure!

2¢ Worth David Warlick is an edublogger (writes about technology and education) and poses interesting questions that challenge my thinking.

Web-blogged Will Richardson is an edublogger who also writes about teaching!

Eide-Neorolearnng Blog This one is a just a personal interest as I am fascinated by the brain.

Mary Castle's First Grade Blog (I am trying to blog this year with my class, so I followed this teacher for over a year)


I recommend that you fiddle around a little bit with these applications and see where it takes you and who you meet!


2 comments:

lh4 said...

Great stuff Danielle - I sat down for 5 minutes and I am still here an hour later. Thanks for sharing with me.
A.

Danielle said...

Thanks 4 stopping by!