Nov 22, 2009

Where do we begin?



After watching this video last Fall, I was filled with uncertainty. I didn't know where to begin my journey into online learning, but I sensed it was crucial to start connecting with the broader world beyond my physical space. Here are a few ways I initiated that journey:

3 Tools to Begin Connecting with the World

1. Delicious

Delicious is a social bookmarking site, allowing users to share, organize, search, and manage bookmarks of web resources (Wikipedia). Personally, I adore Delicious because it grants me access to my bookmarks from anywhere, at any time, and on any computer. I can bookmark sites at home and have them readily available when I'm at work. Moreover, I can explore other users' bookmarks, saving me time and providing a wealth of information beyond what I could find on my own.

2. YouTube/TeacherTube

YouTube takes the second spot for me. Whenever I need to learn something new, it's my go-to platform. For instance, last summer, I wanted to learn a couple of songs on the violin, so I turned to YouTube. I found tutorials from "expert village" to help me learn "Twinkle, Twinkle." It was a blast! Additionally, I love YouTube for classroom use. Short clips from YouTube are fantastic for capturing my students' attention.

3. Blogs

A blog is a type of website where individuals regularly post commentary, event descriptions, or other content such as graphics or videos (Wikipedia). I rely on blogs to stay abreast of the latest developments in the digital world. I recommend finding a few blogs that pique your interest and diving in! Look for blogs updated frequently to ensure you stay current with the rapidly evolving digital landscape.

Some of my favorites include:

Free Technology for TeachersThis site is a goldmine! Be sure to bookmark it.
  
2¢ Worth  David Warlick's blog challenges my thinking with thought-provoking questions about technology and education.

Web-blogged  Will Richardson's blog offers valuable insights into teaching and learning.
  
Eide-Neorolearnng Blog  This one is a personal interest, as I'm fascinated by neuroscience.

Mary Castle's First Grade Blog  I've been following this teacher for over a year as I endeavor to incorporate blogging into my classroom this year.

I encourage you to explore these applications and see where they take you and who you encounter!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great stuff Danielle - I sat down for 5 minutes and I am still here an hour later. Thanks for sharing with me.
A.

Danielle Spencer said...

Thanks 4 stopping by!